From Being A Kid Lady To Giving Position To 70 Provincial Ladies, Durga Offers Her Account Of Coarseness

In her book, The Other Nation, Writer Columnist Mrinal Pande discussed the split between a modest community and an enormous city in India, featuring the steadily augmenting separation points between Provincial Bharat and Metropolitan India.


In her book, The Other Country, Author-Journalist Mrinal Pande talked about the divide between small-town and big-city India, highlighting the ever-widening fault lines that exist between Rural Bharat and Urban India. It is not a hidden fact that a lot of work needs to be done toward the safety of women and their empowerment. 

So every time I get to hear a story, of a woman emerging “empowered” from a rural background, I want to give her my utmost respect and greet her success with sincere acknowledgment. On similar lines is the story of Durga Yadav.

A native of Delwara village of Rajasthan, Durga was married when she was 5 and at the age of 15 was sent to her husband’s house, where she conceived her first child within a year. My elder sister was enrolled with the handicraft team of Sadhna, the organization that made me see my wings. Our head there appreciated my designs and I didn’t even realize when I went from being a learner to leading a team of 20.

Fortunate to have gotten married into a progressive family, Durga didn’t have to deal with the typical atrocities. Still, she acknowledged the fact that our country’s rural setup has most women struggling a lot. Durga worked as a group leader of Sadhna for seventeen years, the women’s handicraft enterprise that works to provide alternative incomes for women in Udaipur’s rural, tribal and urban slum areas.

In her tenure, she convinced families of more than 300 women to support and encourage them to work and ascertained in them, the need and importance of empowerment. Mother of two daughters and a son, Durga recently got her elder daughter admitted to a medical college, and shared that the younger one is aiming for the same too.

I hope he seeks inspiration from his sisters” – the auditorium couldn’t contain the applaud her statement gathered. Speaking about the achievement that moved her to joyful tears, Durga talked about the opportunity to visit the Netherlands, a “foreign land”, as the Chief Guest of Women On Wings’ tenth anniversary.

Women on Wings is a Netherland-based NGO working in rural India to create one million jobs for women, and with the team with which Durga came in contact during her years at Sadhna. But you never know with life, for the very next hour I got the call of invitation” – Which she believes wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the founder of Women on Wings.

Whom she regards as “Maria Ma’am”, and also her husband, who took care of all the legal documentation for her, she shyly revealed. And while talking to Durga, got reminisced of:

JR: All in all, what are you doing right now taking part?

Durga: I worked with Sadhna for quite some time, however, am presently taking care of my own responsibilities of silver gems, and have a gathering of in excess of 70 ladies working with me. I should assist more ladies with emerging from their homes and make them gifted. We acquire unadulterated silver, which you know, comes rather costly, and afterward cut our own plans on it.

At the point when I inquired as to whether she was decorating her own planned adornments, she grinned and couldn't avoid flaunting. And furthermore proposed to plan for me, so I'm arranged, ha.

JR: How would you track down the market yet? Do you partake in the city shows?

Durga: Indeed, we truly do take part in the displays. Furthermore, other than that, I likewise have connected with different dastakars. They acquire the request, and in like manner, we make the adornments.

JR: Gracious! Also, what might be said about the pay, have you been saving at this point? Likely arrangements?

Durga: She grinned, no investment funds, yet. Silver comes costly, thus whatever acquiring occurs must be returned to the business. Yet, I in all actuality do have things arranged, about how I really want to extend. It will require some greater investment, yet I'm ready for it. I won't ever think twice about making truly credible adornments, whatever amount of time it might take me to raise my pay, she expressed plainly.


written by:





Comments