Giving Old Indian Saris Another Life, 'I Was A Sari' Is Assisting Oppressed Ladies With planning Their Future

"I everlastingly lived in my town in Mumbai. I generally needed to go out on a getaway with my children and my significant other. Prior, all the cash my significant other made was scarcely sufficient to earn enough to pay the bills. In any case, now that I am monetarily free too, so with my saving now I can really design a get-away!" shared Nutan, one of the oppressed ladies craftsmen working at I Was A Sari. This is only one of the endless accounts of ladies who are presently transforming their hotly anticipated dreams into the real world lastly turning into the certain singular they generally needed to be. All due to the creative brand I Was A Sari, begun by Stefano Funari, who generally needed to "roll out a genuine improvement in the existence of each and every craftsman included."


I continually wished to travel out on a vacation with my children and my husband. However currently that I'm financially freelance as well, thus with my saving now I will really arrange a vacation!” shared Nutan, one of the underprivileged women artisans functioning at I used to be A Sari. This can be only one of the unnumbered stories of girls who are now turning their long-awaited dreams into reality and eventually changing into the assured individual they continually wished to be.

All owing to the innovative whole I used to be A Sari, started by Stefano Funari, who always wanted to I spotted that there may be unnumbered brands, however, just some take a step to deal with the problems out there which is that the want of the hour. I always wanted to figure out a venture that wasn't simply a whole. And ‘I Was A Sari’ was the solution I used to be searching for and I fell gaga with it,” says Poornima Pande, 33, Director of selling and communications at I used to be A Sari.

Poornima Pande with Stefano Funari at ‘Circular style Challenge Award’, India’s 1st award for property Fashion. With an eco-ethical approach to fashion, the brand transforms previous distinctive and desirable Indian saris into new styles, like bags, pouches, apparel, scarves, etc., with the assistance of girls from underprivileged communities. Sharing the wonderful construct that I used to be A saree thrives on, Poornima maps out their path to a women-empowered Bharat.

He had been operating with youngsters at the time, doing welfare work, and he accomplished that for the longer term of India to be bright, the ladies within the house got to be confident, empowered, and financially independent.
So, once he was in a very chor bazaar and saw a lot of the foremost stunning saris being sold and therefore the plan of ‘I Was A Sari’ affected him, to be a brand concerning the most picture garment in India, revitalizing the old charm and work for women’s management as well.

However of these women artisans, you work with, however, does one available in contact with them?


We tend to collaborate with NGOs: Community stretch Programme and Animedh public trust via that we enlist these girls. Also, usually in Bharat women have basic sewing and craft skills, however, though they don’t, we provide them with entire correct coaching beforehand before they become a vicinity of the assembly team. I might say that ‘I Was A Sari’ is giving them this type of exposure for the primary time, wherever they're about to move out of their family and make their own identity.

Also, currently, we've got joined hands with an associate degree NGO partner who has been interviewing these girls to spot the problems that require solving, be it attention issues, education loans, or provident funds. We actually want to know what their life is like, their problems, and their wishes, and address them. We tend to also provide the ladies' artisans with versatile operating hours, like perhaps they will solely work once their children are away in class, i.e., for 2 hours or four hours.

You actually are aiming for a women-empowered India. One of the key areas is chorred bazaars from where we tend to supply these saris. We tend to conjointly receive some donations of wonderful items of gorgeous saris. And therefore the saris we tend to don’t find victimization are given to a different NGO, referred to as Goonj, that makes healthful pads and other upcycled merchandise out of them, so following our zero-waste policy.



written by:

Comments